Historic Home Movies
The Historic Home Movies of St Andrews N.B. series includes 12 hours of amateur movies shot from 1923 to recent times, which have been digitized, processed, edited, and produced with informative voice-over commentaries recorded by current residents.
SUMMER 1923 BY THE BAY OF FUNDY.
This was filmed by Colonel Hugh Heasley in 1923 when he and his wife spent the summer based in St. Andrews. The film starts with the train ride from McAdam station and includes scenes around St. Andrews, ladies playing golf on the old nine-hole course, and scenes at various residences, including Covenhoven. Visits to St. Stephen, Saint George, and Saint John, and a picnic on New River Beach are included. The film has been digitally matched with a commentary recorded for this film in 1980. Length: 31.07 minutes.
CORONATION PARADE 1953 IN ST. ANDREWS. N.B.
CAN YOU RECOGNIZE SOMEONE OR SEE YOURSELF?
On June 2nd, 1953 Queen Elizabeth II was crowned in England, and in St. Andrews a large crowd assembled to watch an impressive parade. Leigh Williamson shot about half an hour of film and in this version there are over 100 “freeze-framed” participants, each with a reference number. We hope viewers will identify some of the remaining unknowns. Length: 55.35. Please leave a comment on the YouTube page or send to firstname.lastname@example.org.
REMEMBERING A ROYAL VISIT, CHARLES & DIANA 1983.
Residents and visitors to St. Andrews remember a foggy morning in 1983 when Prince Charles and Diana Princess of Wales came to visit from off the Royal Yacht Britannia, moored in the fog in the Bay. They attended Church service at All Saints and met with the crowd, and later left on their launch, pursued by all the boats in the Bay. This is a personal memory by Franklin Cardy with additional film from John L. Williamson. Length: 10.41.
JEANIE JOHNSON REPLICA VISIT TO ST. ANDREWS, N.B.
The original Jeanie Johnson immigrant ship came in 1853 near the end of the Irish Emigration. A replica of the Jeanie Johnson visited St. Andrews in 2003. Filmed by Franklin Cardy, Sheila Washburn tells the story of how hard the local committee worked to bring her here, the experience of the Captain who mistakenly came through the Latite Passage, and the celebrations when she was in port. Length: 16.35 mins
COTTAGE CRAFT BURNT, AUGUST 2016.
This was filmed by Kurt Gumushel in the middle of the night of August 8, 2016 on his iPhone, when the iconic old building housing the Cottage Craft shop burnt down. The film documents the progress of the fire and a voice-over narration is provided by Kevin Theriault, the St. Andrews Fire Chief who was in charge that night. Archival pictures and shots of the aftermath, including at the height of an 8-metre tide in October, record this historic event in the centre of town. Length: 12.19
HOCKEY IN ST. ANDREWS 1900 TO 1980s.
Based on the Archives’ films and images, this video features many of the St. Andrews hockey teams, including the notable Senators and their stars “Pickle”, Tommy, and Harry MacNichol. It recounts the development of successive hockey arenas through the 1900s, largely inspired by Bill O’Neill. It includes memories of the St. Andrews Hockey School, started in the 1960s with Scotty Bowman and Danny Grant among its prominent associates, and ends with a recent video update from a young enthusiast. The video was assembled, recorded, edited, and produced by Franklin Cardy in 2018. 59.32 mins.
“I USED TO LIVE HERE” – A FORMER PRISONER RETURNS TO THE OLD GAOL
This new video records the brief visit in 2018 of a former prisoner. Watch and listen as he stands in wonder and tells his story and that of the other inmates, remembering the time of his incarceration here for several months in the mid 1970s, including 23 days in isolation in one of the small cells. 21.27 mins.
W.C. ``Bill`` O'Neill's Film Legacy
PREVIEW OF BILL O’NEILL’S FILM LEGACY
Between 1938 and the 1960s, prominent businessman and entrepreneur W.C. (Bill) O’Neill shot around four hours of film, much of it in colour. This was digitized by the Provincial Archives and has been processed into 16 videos complete with commentaries by residents who helped identify the footage and remember. The videos have been developed and produced as an archival record of mid 20th Century life in St. Andrews, New Brunswick. 13.mins 30 secs.
THE NAVY IN ST. ANDREWS
Includes footage of the launch of two Minesweepers at the Vaughan Shipyard in 1943/4, remembered by Nancy Keay, Kenny Leslie and others, with details of the ships launched there, followed by personal memories from Dorothy McLaughlin: of visiting warships; colour video of the Sea Rangers and others at a Remembrance Day event; the Coronation parade (1952); and another navy-related Parade in Town. 12.55 minutes.
ST. ANDREWS PEOPLE IN TOWN: 1938 TO 1950s
This assembly of sequences includes the Marina Theatre, Billy Cockburn at his Drug Store, four-year-old David Graham and his Uncle Jim, a car accident, horse and buggy deliveries, gatherings outside the Kennedy Inn, the O’Neill Store scales, Ed Finnigan’s Welsh Coal store, the Wren store and the O’Dell Dry Goods store fronts, the view from the top of the Town Hall fire tower, people boarding a bus outside “the oldest lunch counter in Canada” and much else, with commentaries from current residents and families. 17.12 mins.
“DOWN BACK OF SHIRLEY’S”
Remembering lost buildings in St. Andrews N.B. The Alexander Pote House, the Chinese Laundry, the Marina Theatre, the China Chest, the O’Dell Stores and the Shirley Store are featured, among others, with commentaries by those who remember. 9.06 mins.
WINTERS IN ST. ANDREWS 1938 to 1950s
Bill O’Neill’s film includes many winter views with people coping with deep snow or ice on the streets, ice harvesting on Chamcook Lake, skating on Katy’s pond, playing with children, and gathering as families for Christmas. The film also shows the Senators Hockey team leaving by train for their successful game in Bathurst. Comments are provided by many local residents. 18.31 mins.
FARMING AROUND ST. ANDREWS 1930s AND ’40s
Starting with a long panorama from the top of Currie Mountain, the video focuses down onto the O’Neill farm and its operations in the late 1930s and early ’40s, with memories from O’Neill family members and the Clarkes and Garnetts. This is followed by unique footage of the Mowatt’s Birch Hill wool-dyeing operations. A glimpse of the Linkscrest greenhouse and chicken coop, recalled by Nancy Aiken, leads on to a review of the greenhouse and farming operations on Minister’s Island with live commentary by Henry Clarke and others. 13.06 mins.
HOMES & GARDENS IN ST. ANDREWS
Bill O’Neill shot a lot of colour film before the war in gardens around town, including Clibrig, 220 Montague Street, the O’Neills’ on Frederick Street, the Tait House “Linkscrest”, and Kingsbrae, among others. Although low definition, the video clearly shows the beauty of the grand gardens before the war. 14.36 mins
“LINKSCREST” ESTATE CA. 1940
“Linkscrest” (now called the Anderson House) was the home of Sir Thomas and Lady Tait in the late ’30s until he died in 1941. The house was built in the late ’20s and the video shows how it was surrounded with elegant landscaping, flower gardens, and a striking rockery (still remembered by Nancy Keay), a kitchen garden, an orchard, and a large chicken house that is still there. 14.52 mins.
MINISTER’S ISLAND MEMORIES
This video presents personal memories of the greenhouse, farming, and horticultural operations on Minister’s Island, as recalled by Henry and Bud Clarke and Peter Garnett, who lived on the island. The story of how they descended from Harry Clarke, is recalled in the setting of caring for the grounds of the Island. 17.00 mins.
“ST. ANDREWS NORTH” AND THE FISHERIES
In May 1913 a “great factory” was opened by the Canadian Sardine Company at Chamcook, containing all the latest equipment. No expense was spared but within a few months the project was abandoned. Films from 1923 and the late ’30s reveal the extent of the village and the massive concrete plant. This is followed by film in the mid ’40s of men seining a weir by hand near the harbour, and of a visit to the Lobster Pound at Deer Island filmed by Leigh Williamson in 1946 or 1947. 18.20 mins.
ROYAL VISIT TO SAINT JOHN, N.B. JUNE 13, 1939
On June 13, 1939, an open truck full of men from St. Andrews headed off to Saint John to watch the arrival of the King and Queen towards the end of their North American tour, as they disembarked at Fairville Station. Bill O’Neill filmed the occasion in colour and some current residents still remember the day. 6.19 mins.
CHILDREN IN THE 1940s ST. ANDREWS N.B.
This video has clips from the early childhood years of Alicia and Mary Elizabeth O’Hagan, and their parents, grandparents, and friends (Hacheys et al) during the early 1950s. The images include colourful street scenes and locations around town as well as several children’s parties, featuring Nancy Keay pinning the tail on the donkey amongst other singular events. The film includes commentaries by Carmelita Thompson O’Neill, other family members and some “old timers.” 6.35 mins.
SAILING THE BAY AT ST. ANDREWS N.B. 1938 TO 1948
Starting with a long panorama of the waterfront in winter 1938, the movie covers sailing club activities from small “Snipes” to large schooners in the harbour. This is followed by a post-war excursion to Grand Manan on the “Grand Manan III”, complete with the Town Band. A recording of the Town Centennial Band at rehearsal in 1968 adds to the sense of occasion. A day out with Howard Pillow and Bill O’Neill on the motor launch “Lucinda” and a post-war panorama of the water-front complete the video. 14.25 mins.
ALL ABOARD! STEAM TRAINS IN ST. ANDREWS
This video includes colour footage of steam train arrivals and departures and shunting operations at the St. Andrews station and on the wharfs, together with many of the people involved in the comings and goings. These include the Senators hockey team and some special visitors being seen off on a flag-bedecked train. 14.27 mins.
THREE WEDDINGS IN ST. ANDREWS, N.B.
This video includes film from the 1939 wedding shower of Jim and Maxime Graham, as described in the Courier at the time. There is also footage of an unknown army couple emerging from the United Church, probably in the mid 1940s and good coverage of the Vaughan Thompson and Mary O’Neill wedding in 1947, with family comments. 12.56 mins.
HENRY “TEDDY” ROONEY’S FILM LEGACY
Teddy Rooney lived most of his life on Pagan Street and was a keen gardener, singer and guitar player with a facility and fascination for gadgets, including his movie camera. The rhododendrons still in front of the Post Office were planted by him when he was the meticulous caretaker there. The hour or so of film that he left to be rediscovered, processed and released here covers a range of day-to-day events characteristic of a small town in the mid 20th century.
ACCIDENTS IN ST. ANDREWS IN THE 1960s AND THE 1970s
This combines a series of 8mm or Super8 films that Teddy Rooney shot in the ’60s and ’70s. “He was always around when there was a sort of catastrophe,” says Jeff Holmes, local businessman and ambulance driver at the time, on his commentary. The video covers several vehicle accidents on roads and off the wharf, including one in which Jeff himself was the aggrieved party. Length: 11.53 mins.
NAVY BAR LIGHTHOUSE BURNT IN 1967
Teddy Rooney shot film of the Navy Bar Lighthouse being burnt by the Coastguard in 1967 and this video builds on those clips with a demonstration by Jack McAleenan, whose Father was the Lighthouse Keeper in the ’60s, of how the light and fog warning worked. There are colour clips filmed in 1946 from the Weir by Leigh Williamson. Jeff Holmes also provides comments and entertainment. Length: 5.47 mins.
HARBOUR ACTION IN THE 1960s AND THE 1970s
Filmed by Teddy Rooney, this video covers a range of activities in the harbour in the ’60s and ’70s. Among the highlights is a sequence showing Howard Pillow’s yacht, Lucinda II, with comments by George Mathews, who worked on her; shots of the last Grand Manan Ferry trip in 1966; and a crowd on the Mail Boat, Rex IV, recalled by Jeff Holmes. Shots of visiting yachts, including The Cruising Club of America, and of local sailing and dinghy racing are described by Irene Scarratt. Length: 19.14.
CONLEY’S LOBSTER PLANT FIRE 1974
This video, filmed by Teddy Rooney, documents the disastrous fire that burnt the Conley’s Lobster Plant in August 1974, putting dozens of people out of work. Comments are provided by Kenny Leslie, who was working upstairs in the Plant on the day of the fire, and by Jeff Holmes and others, identifying some of the people involved and discussing the cause of the fire. Length: 11.20
GROUNDHOG DAY STORM 1976
Teddy Rooney filmed the extent of this storm from the Town wharf to the Lobster Plant and rail tracks, all awash both during the storm and the next day, when he documented the damage along the shore and around town. Dramatic clips of the waves breaking over the cottages on Chandler’s Lane and Patrick Street are brought to life by Jeff Holmes, who owned one of the cottages and received good advice. George Mathews also adds detail and colour to the commentary on this historic storm. Length: 12.52
LAST TRAINS IN ST. ANDREWS, N.B.
Teddy Rooney filmed this in the early 1970s when the railway yard was busy with shunting operations for daily trains carrying lobster and other goods to Upper Canada. The video concludes with still shots taken by Hugh Graham of the last train to leave St. Andrews. Expert and technical comments from an ex-Canadian Pacific staffer Don Whiting and his wife are supported by Jeff Holmes with his local memories. Length: 5.48.
This video gives glimpses of family life on Pagan street in the 1960s and 70s. Teddy Rooney is seen tending his flowers and playing the guitar with other members of his family and friends as they celebrate the changing seasons indoors and out. Length 27.41